Friday, September 19, 2008

Gunpowder River

I took the afternoon today to drive up to the Gunpowder river in northern Maryland. This river is one of the states prime fly fishing destinations and even with the overcast and cool temperatures today still had a small hatch that came up and gave rise to some fun fishing. 

I was able to bring to hand several fish, the majority of them being in the 9 to 11 inch range with one that was a good 14 or so inches. The brown trout is a beautiful fish both in the fact that they put up a spirited fight and also by virtu of their appearance. I also had the pleasure of meeting a gentleman by the name of Chad who was also there to wet a line. 

Just before arriving at the river I made a pit stop at a local fly shop - Backwater Angler. The gentleman there was very helpful both with the directions to the river and where to go once I got there and also helped me pick out a fly pattern which I found to be quite effective on the water. Just looking around the shop he seemed well stocked on the essentials with a few goodies as well.

One bit of advice that was passed to me and that I also noticed at the river is, don't fish near the bridge. During the 4 odd hours I was at the river I met several people who were fishing that section and coming up empty. I am sure the fish there can be caught... in fact they were jumping around looking quite inviting. But for that same reason they are probably targeted quite often and having seen a fly or two are very selective. 

When you go to the river there are two options. Go up river or down. Regardless of which way your feet take you the trail is located on the side that keeps the river on your right although going up river and having waded across I located a trail on the opposite bank that is there as well although I don't know where the head to it is as it gets close to the parking lot. 

All in all a fine location and one that I will definitely be going back to the next time I am back on the east coast. And ow to get back to packing and probably catch a few Z's before my flight back to the west coast and Good Ol' Wally World.

No comments:

Post a Comment