Saturday, February 16, 2008

Fish, skunks and a good walk

The weather seems to be finally letting up and the sun did its peek-a-boo routine today. After several days of being in the office I had to get out a do a bit of fishing. Drove over to the Tolt river and after a quick check waded in with my gear. I have fished this river once before last fall and the water level was about 3 or 4 times what it was. When I checked what the flow was today on one of the sites online it told me that it was in the 600 cfs range and given that I don't have the most experience with this type of water the fishing skunk showed its face. 

To justify the trip however I was able to get a nice hike in and talk to several others who were also fishing the Tolt. I guess that Skunk was not in a discriminating mood as the other fishermen regaled me of tales of nice weather and no fish. Several who have fished more than I have also mentioned that the conditions were marginal at best. Well chalk this up to a learning experience and I did manage to get a look at some new holes, well new for me, that might prove to give me something the next time I visit. Which is going to be when the water is a lot lower. 

So that being said I wonder what I should do tomorrow. It seems that the warming weather is only going to melt more of the snow in the mountains leading to higher flows. I could do more exploring and find some new fishing spots, or stay home and catch up on some chores like cleaning the house... although cleaning the house has no... NO appeal. I guess I wont have to make that decision till the morning... and I might do some cleaning now just so that I have a excuse and  an alibi to go fishing tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment