Saturday, February 2, 2008

First Post

It might be a sign of the times or maybe its just me catching up to an ever fleeting technological horizon. I would place my bets on the latter. 

Two interesting things happened today. The first was a visit to a Fly Fishing Expo. Being new to the craft/sport or whatever else it may be called this was an interesting opportunity to see some interesting new products, be fascinated by constructs of hair and feather being transformed into almost realistic looking creatures and pick up some tips to further my own study of this field.

The second was a trip to the Dixie BBQ. I first heard about the place during the summer of 2003 while I was studying Marine Ecology and Phycology at the WWC (Walla Walla University) Marine Biology Station on Fidalgo Island.  A couple friend of mine after a weekend in Seattle told of a place where you can meet "The Man". An intriguing concept to me as "The Man" had a home made hot sauce that was supposed to knock the socks off you. Now I like spicy food. At this very moment I have about 12 bottles of various hot sauces in my possession and I do like the fiery after burn and tingling of the lips. I had been looking forward to meeting "The Man" and here was my opportunity.  

I would not call my self a food critique. I just know what I like and know what appeals to my own tastes. If you have not had a chance to visit the Dixie BBQ I would recommend you do so and judge it for your self. To put to rest this rant, after many years of hearing about the place I had my hopes and expectations very high. The food was great, I had a beef flank BBQ sandwich and a side of beans and rice. The sandwich was good with nice chunky pieces of meat and I did get to meet "The Man".

Thats where the story takes a odd tangent. "The Man" is a somewhat wizened old guy that does not seem to have a lot of respect for his customers. Recently I heard on NPR about a grouchy restauranteur and that was part of the charm of the place... well I guess if you can call that charm more power to you. The straw that broke this camels back for me was the famous hot sauce. As is tradition the man come up to me and ask me if I wanted to try some. After I tried a drop on the end of my fork and requested more for my food he seemed to get even more grouchy and acted as if I was supposed to think this was the hottest thing I had ever encountered and run for the water... Well the fact of the matter is that being as I like spicy food it was not the hottest thing I have eaten. In my opinion Daves Insanity Sauce which can be picked up in most grocery stores well out ranks his little concoction... Oh well so much for meeting "The Man". I don't think I will be going back... The food was ok... service was passable but the hot sauce well its not all that special... 

It was good to finally meet "The Man", at least I can say I have done it. However the main point of all this is not just to rant about the hot sauce but to give me a place to put down my thoughts and the lesson for the day is dont hanker after the mythical hot sauce because something hotter might already be in your fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment