Thursday, April 17, 2008

Time flies whether you are having fun or not

Its been a while since I put down my thoughts on the web and as usual many things have transpired since then. For one thing the weather has got much better, one can for the most part see the sun at least every other day even if it is for a moment which is a much better situation that when it was cold and raining.

And with the sun has also come warmer weather which if you pay any attention to the natural order of things go hand in hand. Speaking of the natural order of things it is often true that after winter follows spring, sometimes around here I doubt the weather gods were given that memo. 

On a new topic and tangent I finally signed up for the WEST B. I don't know if this is a final decision and my actions predict a change in scenery but change is inevitable and can be a good thing. Well its either change or something gives and why put it off till then. Something that has been on my mind lately is the effect of ones actions and the inability to predict the future. Sometimes I look back at my life and think that even though I knew an opportunity was passing me by my inability to accept change left me with a situation that was less that ideal. Was this due to a persons need to be in the comfort zone or is this being in a rut. I guess to some extent they can be one and the same but sometimes they may deviate in the finer definitions of the word. 

What is a rut anyway as it applies to lives. The way I understand the workings of the mind and to those who may know better this may sound like trivial rubbish, an impulse of electric current much like what would be generated by a battery is sparked at one point in the brain and travels along a path of neurons till it completes its journey at another location. This Neurological stimulation is the basis for all actions, thoughts and ideas that a human can produce. 

As babies we build some of these pathways and make them stronger through repetition. Like a callous that forms on your foot if you hike for too long a time, neurons in the brain each get stronger with use and the more one uses each pathway the stringer it gets. So by definition a rut then is a very strong pathway that is built up through repetition. 

So what does a rut have to do with my life... well quite the opposite actually. I think my fear of being in a rut and my nomadic nature through my upbringing has left me with a well plowed field with no ruts but also no real path either. Like the plow horse that is allowed to drag a plow in a random and arbitrary manner the ruts overlap, cris-cross and cause general havoc that it is sometimes hard to figure out what direction I wanted to go in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment