Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dream Lens

I have been giving this topic some though over the past few weeks, and to some extent this might just be my own fantasy but if I was to have any say in the design of a set of lenses I would have a very specific set. Right now I have a Sigma 17-35mm, 50-500mm and a Canon 100mm (macro) as the standard set in my camera bag. However what I find is that for many of my shooting situations the ideal focal lengths don't quite cut it with what I have hence the thought put into this subject. 

If I could design my own line of lenses I would have 4. Some of which already exists. Going from wide to tele; I would love to have a Canon 16-35 mm f/2.8, The second would be a 24-135mm 2.8 IS, the third, the 100-400 mm canon lens that exists but that I cant afford right now along with the Sigma 300-800 mm lens. The last two are more for specific situations such as wildlife, birding, sporting events.

The closest lens that comes to the second exists as the 24-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. While I love the range on this lens the variable aperture could be made better by going to a fixed f/2.8. There was also some wobble in the front end of the lens that I used due to the design dictated that the front element extend and therefore was on a separate tube.

When I talk to many of my friends who are also gear-heads to some extent many if not all consider to Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS the de-facto lens to have. I think that even they would agree that if the 24-135 f/2.8 IS existed the four lens lineup I wish for would be the most versatile.

But for now all I can do is play with what I have and look forward to the day when I can have the dream lineup.

No comments:

Post a Comment