Friday, May 2, 2008

An evening on the Salt


After many days of cold and windy weather we finally got an evening that was really nice. And to top it off I was able to take some time and get out of the office and enjoy it. Gearing up with waders and fly rod I ventured down to the beach for some therapeutic casting. So far this year I have not seen the big schools of resident blackmouth in the area nor schools of bait-fish in any large numbers. 
Walking along the beach I did see one small school of about 1 inch fry that probably had no more than 50 to 100 individuals. I also noticed that being as it has been sunny and also relatively calm the bioluminescent alga were out in force. It might be real cool out these right now to skip rocks or swirl the water and watch it light up but I am inside writing this discourse and have not figured out how to be in two places at the same time. 
I walked about 200 feet down the beach to a likely looking place, tied on a size 8 brown and white clouser with a little flash in it and started casting. I had made about 40 or 50 casts when as usual I had the line tangle up in my stripping basket and I had to drop the fly short of where I had intended to. Well it took me only a couple seconds to get the tangle undone but as I started to pick up the line to recast I had a pleasant surprise and a strong tug on the other end.

I brought to hand a nice 13 inch Cutthroat trout. It looked really healthy although it did not have much fight to it and I was able to horse it in to the net fairly quickly with my 6wt. All in all a beautiful way to end the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment